The Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) training program
This program was developed by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the AARP to train professionals in helping seniors & older adults live in their homes safely as they age. Remodeling with a CAPS professional utilizing universal design will increase the value of your home and create usability for generations to come.
A Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) has been trained in:
- The unique needs of the older adult population
- Aging-in-place home modifications
- Common remodeling projects
- Solutions to common barriers
CHECKLIST: Choosing a remodeler for aging-in-place and universal design improvements
- Figure out how much money you have to spend on the home modification project.
- Seek referrals from friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and others who have had similar work done.
- Search the Directory of Professional Remodelers to locate a CAPS Professional.
- Check with your local or state office of consumer protection and the local Better Business Bureau.
- Verify the CAPS Professional Contractor has the appropriate license(s) in your state.
- Ask your professional remodeler for a written estimate of the work to be done based on a set of plans/specifications. Be prepared to pay for this package.